Accessibility on the Central Coast


Central Coast Council is continuing to improve accessibility to its services and facilities so that all residents and visitors can enjoy the local environment and activities.

Disability Inclusion Action Plan

Central Coast Council has developed a new Disability Inclusion Action Plan which outlines the strategies council will put in place over a four year period to enable people with disabilities to better access mainstream services, facilities and supports and to be fully included and able to participate in the community. 

Access the Easy English Disability Inclusion Action Plan.

Accessible events guide

To provide event planners and community representatives with tips and tools to plan an event that can be enjoyed by everyone, council has put together a handy Accessible Events Guide. Also available in an easy to read version.

Beach wheelchairs

Beach wheelchairs are available at selected surf clubs for people with physical disabilities or reduced mobility.

There are two different types of beach wheelchair available: six Sand Cruiser models and two new Hippocampe chairs.

More information is available on the Beach Services page.

Accessing council public toilets

Most of council’s accessible public toilets should be open when other public toilets are open. However, if you need to access an accessible public toilet after hours, you can use the Master Locksmith Access Key (MLAK).

The MLAK is a master key that fits into specially designed locks allowing 24 hour a day access to public amenities for people with a disability. Many accessible public toilets can be opened using the MLAK.

To be eligible to purchase a key, you must have a disability and a letter of authority from:

  • A doctor;
  • A disability organisation; or
  • The centre manager or owner of a building with an accessible building onsite.

Where can I purchase an MLAK?

The key can be purchased from locksmiths who are members of the Master Locksmiths Association. To find out more, contact your local locksmith.

Where are the accessible toilets?

You can find a full list of accessible and non-accessible public toilets across Australia by searching the National Public Toilet Map or call 1800 990 64.

Need more information?

If you need more information about the MLAK system please contact the Master Locksmith's Association on 1800 810 698 or Spinal Cord Injuries Australia on 1800 819 775.

Useful contacts

Community Care Access Point (CCAP)
The CCAP is a confidential telephone intake, assessment and referral service. It can help you to find out about community care services in the Hunter and Central Coast areas.

Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission 
The commission's goal is to foster greater understanding and protection of human rights in Australia and to address the human rights concerns of a broad range of individuals and groups including people with disabilities.

Central Coast Disability Network (CCDN)
Offers an information and referral service, individual advocacy for people with a disability, and community access and support services for people with an acquired brain injury.

Aging, Disability and Home Care (ADHC)
Part of the Department of Family and Community Services, the ADHC aims to provide more integrated services for vulnerable client groups in NSW.

Also In This Section