Building & Development

Water and Sewer Development Requirements

Council is a water supply authority under the Water Management Act 2000. Where any development or engineering works are to be undertaken, the owner or developer is responsible for ensuring the water supply authority’s assets are considered. The following provides general information on the Water and Sewer Section 307 requirements for development applications (DAs).

Certification of new development by private certifiers

Where works are privately certified, it is the private certifier’s responsibility to obtain the water supply authority conditions and/or approval prior to certifying a development as being suitable for construction. The water supply authority may issue this approval in the form of a Section 307 certificate, or through certification that plans are compliant, depending on the type of development proposed.

The process

As a condition of development consent, the consent authority (council) will require that satisfactory arrangements be made for the provision of services to the new development, which may also involve payment of water and/or sewer developer contributions. To identify the appropriate arrangements, the developer must submit an Application for 307 Certificate under Section 305 Water Management Act 2000.

Upon receiving the application, water and sewer staff investigate the impact of the proposed development on its system. As the water supply authority, council will issue a Section 306 requirements letter outlining the charges and/or works that the developer must pay and/or construct for the development. When all contributions/fees are paid and the works complete and passed by council, then the Section 307 certificate of compliance will be issued.

What is a water and sewer developer charge?

A water and sewer developer charge is the fee levied upon a development by Gosford City Council under the Water Management Act 2000. These charges are for water headworks and sewer augmentation/distribution and allow council to recover part of the cost of providing the water and sewer infrastructure necessary to service new development. 

Development servicing plans (DSP)

As required by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) in their determination of October 2000, council has prepared two DSP's that document the calculation of developer charges within the Gosford LGA.

As well as including the developer charge and the assumptions used to calculate each charge, each DSP contains planning information, a schedule of DSPs within Gosford and a plan of the DSP.

Calculation of developer charge

The developer charge is calculated using net present value (NPV) methodology approved by IPART.
Contributions are calculated by multiplying the rate per equivalent tenements (ET) for the particular DSP by the number of ETs. One ET is based on a single residential zoned allotment.

A credit is applied for residential allotments or existing development that previously contributed toward provision of water and sewer to the land.

Also In This Section