Building & Development

Plumbing and Drainage Requirements

Drainage Works


On-site plumbing works in the Gosford LGA require an inspection by Gosford City Council.

The Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 established a single scheme regulation for on-site plumbing and drainage work in NSW, and designated NSW Fair Trading as the NSW plumbing regulator from 1 January 2013.

NSW Fair Trading has delegated its powers in Gosford City to Gosford City Council.

Process for undertaking plumbing and drainage works

1. Submit plumbing and drainage inspection application
A plumbing and drainage inspection application form should be submitted, with payment of the applicable fee(s), for all plumbing and drainage works. The form can be submitted by an owner, builder, plumber or other relevant person.

Plumbing and Drainage Inspection Application 

2. Submit notice of work
At least two days before a plumber starts work on a property, the plumber must provide council with a notice of work.

The notice of work must be signed by a licensed plumber. If fees have not been paid, they must be paid upon submission of the notice of work. If fees have been paid, the receipt number should be written on the completed notice of work.

Plumbing and Drainage Notice of Work

3. Book inspections
Contact plumbing and drainage on 4304 7689, at least 24 hours prior to the proposed time, to arrange an inspection. The team will endeavour to arrange an inspection time and date that is suitable to your job requirements.

Next day bookings are subject to availability. Same day inspections are not available.

Please have the following information ready when you book an inspection:

  • proof of payment of the inspection fees
  • confirmation the application for plumbing and drainage inspection and notice of work have been submitted to council.
  • plumber’s contact details
  • address of the job site
  • type of inspection being requested

A certificate of compliance and a sewer service diagram (drainage diagram) are to be provided at the final inspection.

4. Submit certificate of compliance
Within two days of completing plumbing works, the plumber must submit a certificate of compliance. A copy of the certificate of compliance must be provided to council and the owner (and a copy retained by the plumber).

Plumbing and Drainage Certificate of Compliance

The file below combines both the notice of work and the certificate of compliance templates. It can be filled out electronically, but still needs to be printed.

Combined Notice of Work and Certificate of Compliance

5. Submit drainage diagram
Within two days of completing the plumbing works, the plumber must also provide council and the customer with a drainage diagram, using the template below, of any sanitary drainage work they have completed.

Plumbing and Drainage Sewer Service Diagram Template

Please note,  all forms may be printed from this site. Additionally, hard copy booklets are available for purchase from council.

Requirements for building over sewer and stormwater drainage, and adjacent to water mains 

Where a developer proposes to construct works in the vicinity of water or sewer mains, they must comply with requirements outlined in the Building Over or Near Council Sewer and Water Mains Guidelines. A fee applies where engineering plans are required to be assessed by the Water Authority.

Where a developer proposes to construct works in the vicinity of stormwater drainage assets, they must comply with requirements outlined in Gosford Development Control Plan 2013 (DCP 2013) Part 6.7.10 Building Adjacent to a Drainage Easement/Stormwater Pipes. To view the Gosford DCP 2013, visit our ePlanning Portal.

Also In This Section